Powerstep vs. Superfeet Insoles
If you have lingering problems with foot, knee, hip, or back pain, chances are you’ve been recommended custom insoles or orthotic inserts for your shoes. Accordingly, they help relieve pain on your feet and aid in maximizing comfort.
Powerstep and Superfeet are two popular insole manufacturers that always come up during these types of discussions. In this article, we will find out which brand deserves more recognition and why. We will look at their specifications, their pros, and their cons so you can finally decide between the two.
Powerstep vs. Superfeet: At a Glance
Powerstep has been producing quality insole products since 1991. They have filled the demand for ready-to-wear orthotic insoles that are affordable for people struggling with common types of foot pain.
It is definitely one of the most recognizable insole brands in the market. A company based in Ohio, USA, Powerstep has a growing catalog of 40 plus products for you to choose from depending on your needs. Their products are prescribed by thousands of medical professionals.
Superfeet, on the other hand, has been producing insoles for more than 40 years by combining the principles of podiatric science and innovative materials to create the best insoles for your foot problems. The company is based in the UK and is 100% employee-owned.
What makes Superfeet an appealing product for some is that they donate 1% of their annual sales and up to 1,000 volunteer hours to different organizations dedicated to protecting the environment or other causes.
Before you buy: What are insoles?
Insoles are removable shoe inserts that serve a number of purposes. They provide daily comfort for wearers, arch support, and relief from foot and joint pain.
They also serve as a form of treatment for people suffering from plantar fasciitis or plantar fibroma. Insoles help correct the way you normally walk. Additionally, it helps extend your shoe life.
A great shoe insert eliminates all your foot problems including the swelling of the feet and ankles due to long hours of wearing your favorite pair of sneakers. As mentioned earlier, Powerstep and Superfeet are two of the best insole manufacturers that produce options for both men and women.
We’re here to help you choose from a variety of insole products the two brands offer and analyze the pros and cons so that you can ultimately decide which one to get.
Which insole is for you? Let’s Compare!
Powerstep Full Length original insoles vs the Superfeet Professional Grade High Arch Orthotic shoe inserts:
Powerstep Full Length Original Insoles
The Powerstep original orthotic shoe insole is the primary inspiration of all other designs Powerstep has developed throughout the years. It offers full-length and total contact support from your feet and ankles for all-day comfort. It has one of the highest positive customer reviews you will find on Amazon.
- Full-length total support: The encapsulated design of the Powerstep full length original insoles has a firm but flexible support shell, built-in arch support, and deep heel cradle for increased stability. The insoles work on almost all types of arches from neutral, low, and high arch support needs.
- It provides great cushioning: These shoe inserts have dual-layer cushioning with VCT (Variable Cushioning Technology) made from a durable EVA foam base. The material is 100% antimicrobial polyester and provides targeted cushioning to protect your feet whether you’re standing, walking, or doing athletic activities.
- The insoles are designed with comfort in mind: The polyester top fabric keeps your feet dry and comfortable all day. The design prevents friction and heat from entering your shoe as you go through your day-to-day activities. It provides instant relief from plantar fasciitis, mild over-pronation, foot, arch, or heel pain, and sore or aching feet.
- Compatible with any shoe: The Powerstep original orthotic shoe inserts are compatible with almost any type of footwear. Whether you’re wearing casual, athletic, or dress shoes, simply transfer the insoles from one pair to another without any trimming required. It is that easy!
- It’s backed by science: Unlike other insole brands, Powerstep is backed by actual science. In a survey done last November 25 2013 by Podiatry Management Online, the majority of Powerstep users experience a significant improvement in comfort after just 4 weeks of use. It’s the most recommended brand by most Podiatrists worldwide and the thousands of reviews it has on Amazon speaks for itself.
- The support area is too big: According to some users, the large support area of the insoles is too big that it lifts the middle of your foot across the entire center. It has a tendency to press against the arch of your foot and may cause unwanted pain. If you have a large foot, consider getting the Powerstep Pinnacle Maxx Insoles (https://www.amazon.com/Powerstep-Pinnacle-Length-Orthotic-Insoles/dp/B000O58PTE) for a more angled heel post support or the Powerstep Pinnacle Plus, because it has built-in metatarsal pads.
- The fabric will tear and wrinkle after repeated use: The orthotic inserts are known to tear in the heel area and cause annoying wrinkles over time. The insoles will still provide support but will cause unwanted irritation for some people, therefore rendering it unusable because of the troublesome feeling. If this will be a deal-breaker for you, opt for the higher-priced Powerstep products like the Powerstep Protech Control.
- It may be overly thick to some: As the Powerstep full length original insoles cover the whole feet area, some may find it too thick under the heel and arch. It will eventually cause pain in the ankles and knees if you have an improper fit so it’s always best to consult with an expert before getting one.
- Powerstep doesn’t accept returns: With more than 16,000 reviews and a high customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon, Powerstep is clearly one of the popular insole brands you can buy from. However, it is littered with a couple of 1-star complaints simply because Powerstep simply doesn’t accept returns. This is especially concerning if you’ve accidentally bought the wrong fit or the wrong size. This can definitely be a deal-breaker so always make sure you have properly researched the size that you need in order to get appropriate insoles.
Superfeet Professional Grade High Arch Orthotic Shoe Inserts for Men and Women
The Superfeet professional grade high arch orthotic shoe inserts offer affordable and high-quality performance and comfort for everyone. It’s recommended for people who experience foot and arch pain, plantar fasciitis, plantar fibroma, and other common types of lower body pain.
If you want your shoes to fit and feel better, you should definitely add shoe inserts to your wardrobe.
- It has a deep heel cup: The Superfeet professional-grade insoles feature the widest and deepest heel cup you can buy. It provides your feet and ankles maximum support and helps with shock absorption. If you often suffer from heel and arch pain, then this insole should add comfort, support, and structure to your shoes.
- It uses Superfeet’s signature shape: The high profile special orthotic shape Superfeet utilizes for their insoles helps stabilize and support your lower body. It greatly reduces stress on your feet, ankles, and knees. The shape fits most footwear styles and you can use it in place of the factory insoles from your favorite pair of sneakers.
- The insoles are highly durable: The Superfeet professional-grade orthotic shoe inserts keep their shape even after long use. The material is made from a closed-cell high-density foam layer that supports and cushions your feet for lasting comfort. It has a very reliable construction and protects your foot for up to 12 months or 500 miles, whichever comes first.
- There is a unique stabilizer cap: Unlike other insoles out in the market, this Superfeet insole has a unique base-layer stabilizer cap designed to support the rear foot. It provides additional structure and stability to the foam layer that prevents the insole from tearing or forming wrinkles over time.
- It’s equipped with odor-control coating: Another advantage this insole has against other brands is that it has an all-natural coating that eliminates odor-causing bacteria. It’s layered with NXT anti-bacterial coating and is all-natural. The insole is latex-free and vegan and it does a decent job of preventing unpleasant odors even during heavy activities like running or other athletic activities.
- The insoles have a tendency to squeak: If used in an ill-fitting shoe or if you’ve bought the wrong size, the insoles may develop squeaking sounds over time. This will start to annoy you as you wear it as it will make squeaking sounds with every step you take. Judging by the reviews we’ve seen on Amazon, it’s one of the frequent complaints customers have said with the Superfeet insoles.
- The arch support binding the insoles will sometimes fall off: Some customers say the arch support of the Superfeet shoe inserts has a tendency to fall off after just a couple of weeks of use. The arch support binding the cushioned insole looks like it’s connected only by glue so be wary if you’ll be using the insoles in strenuous activities.
- It’s a hit or miss support on the high arches: The Superfeet professional grade high arch orthotic shoe inserts looks like it is a hit or miss for some. A couple of users say they didn’t get the support they’re expecting as advertised. Some say it exacerbated the issue with their feet while others claim their issues did not improve. Depending on your type of purchase, you may opt to get a 30-day free trial so you can test the efficacy of the insoles before you commit to one.
Both Powerstep and Superfeet represent two of the best insole products you can buy right now. The two manufacturers each have their different pros and cons and it all really depends on your preference and budget. You also have to take into consideration what your podiatric expert recommends for you.
The Powerstep insoles provide you with total support on your feet and ankles as the length covers the entirety of the shoe. It is compatible with almost any sneaker you might have in your wardrobe and you’ll always feel comfortable as you wear it.
The product’s confidence is also backed by science as the insole has been studied extensively by leading experts in Podiatry. However, this industry-leading achievement has its drawback. Unfortunately, the Powerstep doesn’t accept returns so you have to be sure of the right fit and size should you get this instead of Superfeet.
Superfeet, meanwhile, offers a latex-free and vegan-friendly insole that will surely have a place in your insole arsenal. Their insoles are coated with a natural coating to eliminate odor-causing bacteria.
Additionally, their durable construction will definitely keep you comfortable for up to 12 months. The pet peeve most buyers have with this product though is that it tends to squeak over long use and it may start to annoy you down the road.
The arch support may also break off as it is only bonded by glue. If this isn’t a deal-breaker, one of the best things Superfeet does is the fact that 1% of their annual sales goes to organizations that contribute to protecting the environment. In buying their product, you’re also donating to charitable causes.
Our Pick: Powerstep Original Full Length Insoles
- Full length total support: powerstep’s original orthotic shoe insole offers full length, total contact support....
- Moderate cushioning: original full-length shoe insoles have dual-layer cushioning with vct Variable Cushioning...
- Designed for comfort: The polyester top fabric keeps your feet comfortable and dry by preventing friction and heat...
- For every shoe: maintain stability, support and alleviate foot pain wherever you go. Simply transfer the Powerstep...
- Podiatrist designed: Powerstep original orthotic shoe insoles are recommended by podiatrists to prevent and...
You won’t go wrong with choosing the Powerstep full length insoles if you’re still unsure of which product to buy. Yes, it does have tearing and wrinkle issues when you use it over time but what insole doesn’t?
Powerstep doesn’t produce that annoying squeaky sound that the Superfeet has. You’re sure to have total support and comfort with Powerstep as the cushioning covers the entirety of the shoe.
You also won’t have to fear the arch support suddenly breaking off as the Powerstep insoles are thick and will surely be with you for far longer than other brands.